A dog and his girl, some crafts, cooking, and a whole lot of nonsense...

Thursday, September 19, 2013

Where it all began...

Let's talk about where it all started with "blog about my dog."
I'm talking about a serious case of puppy love. More specifically, dachshund puppy love.
Nope, that's not Oscar...or one of his siblings, or any doxie he has ever met.
Here we go.

My parents have had dogs and cats since I was a baby. Sure, I liked them alright...but I didn't looooove them the way that my sisters did. I cried when we put our old beagle, Ringer, to sleep at the ripe old age of 14, but really I'd just pet them "hello," when I came home and go about my business. Erin and Hannah had these dogs in their beds, next to them on the couch, in their faces 24/7.

I lived at the firehouse for a bit. We have a member who lived alone, and he lived kinda far away. So when he came for weekend duty, he would have to bring his dog. She was small, and came when he called her, and didn't make a mess or bark...so everyone kinda grew to like Augustina. She was a silver dapple mini Dachshund. Because I lived there, I got to see her and hang out with her more than most, and she was pretty amazing. Not at all like a typical small dog.

 Auggi had puppies that summer, and that was it...I was hooked. She was so tiny and had this huge round belly and maintained her cute little walk up and down the fire house hallways. One night the engine went out and I was lucky enough to be able to stay in bed and she sneaked into the women's bunk room and jumped right up onto my bed!

After those pups came, I wanted one so bad. Auggi's owner and I talked about it about a million times. Unfortunaltey I was still living in the firehouse, and try as I might, that wasn't going to change anytime soon. All of her pups went to different homes, except the black and white one...she still lives with her momma to this day! I saw their owner at a wedding in June and he showed me pictures!

So thats how all of this started. I was just a kid, working full time and going to nursing school, volunteering at night to earn my room and board at the volunteer firehouse...where I met a pup named Auggi and fell in love.
Loving Auggi lead me to finding and loving Oskie Roo, 3 years later, and being the crazy dog momma that I am who blogs about her dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment